Friday, July 15, 2011

Shu Uemura ME 856 +


As some of you may know, Shu Uemura revamped their eyeshadow and blushes…and one is to ask "how different are these colors from before"?

I freaked out because Shu Uemura has the softest, pigmented eyeshadows out there. They're perfection in every sense of the word in terms of colors, their payoff, the sheen and luminosity. Most reformulations usually take a turn for the worse so I was worried that it would be a grim revamping.

So what's different?

Size and packaging: The eyeshadows are now just sold in pans if you choose, which I'm guessing is Loreal's attempt to make it more accessible price point wise. The old formula were in clear lucite casing, which I actually like a lot since it's functional. I hate having to fumble around which color is inside the case. The actual dimensions of the eyeshadows are the same width, but the new eyeshadows are like a millimeter or 2 shorter than their old pans. 

Texture: they seem the same in terms of the soft buttery texture and color payoff. Thank the makeup heavens !! *bows*. They're soft, buttery and on the eyes they just look simply…awesome.

To all of you taupe lovers…PinkSith *cough* we all know the most coveted taupe is without a doubt is Shu ME 945. Why ? Because Shu knows beautiful colors, especially taupes. It's the unicorn pee of taupes…It's that taupe that brings you to your knees every time you see it. It's that love that makes your heart skip a beat each time you see it. Sadly I don't own this shade anymore as I gave it away many moons ago. so how is ME856?

Color: it's a slightly purple taupe. it's supposed to be the replacement for Shu ME850. I'm sorry, but ME856 not as silvery, nor does it have the high shine. ME856 is definitely a bit more purple than ME850. Similar, I guess, but definitely not the same. AT ALL. It's lighter and a bit more of a frost and warmer then P860. For all of you purple taupe lovers, ME856 is a must. definitely. It's brilliant color, but it's no replacement for ME850.

Size and Price: 1.4 grams or 0.049 oz, $15 for the refill ($8 more for a single eyeshadow holder)

Is it worth having?:
yes, i think so…and i'm not really a taupe ho'.

picture time ;D 




left to right:

Shu P860 (d/c)
Shu ME856
Shu ME850




left to right:

Shu P860 (d/c)
Shu ME856
Shu ME850





bottom row (third from left) is Shu ME856 in the old school Shu eyeshadow palette






left to right:

Shu P860 (d/c)
Shu ME856
Shu ME850










left to right:

Shu P860 (d/c)
Shu ME856
Shu ME850

11 comments:

  1. Pretty. I loved the new compacts they have now that you can create your own combinations. I was a little overwhelmed by all the beauty at the counter and shied away before I played to much. I'm SO not used to shopping in person LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. once upon a time...there was a little pair of panties who used to shop at Shu...and all she did was play all day and left with pretties sometimes.

    and then her worst nightmare happened: Shu left the United States


    *wails*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMFG I NEEEEEEEED THIS! Your pictures are awesome. I need ME856.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, and I'm not usually one for taupes! Thank you for the review and swatches! It's so hard to figure out what to buy when a line is online-only.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I freaked when Shu left Sephora and then the boutique closed on Newbury Street. I'm glad it's still available online, but I wish I could look at these colors in person. I never did get ME945, but I have ME950 and I love it.

    Thanks for this post, very helpful. I find the other new colors a little on the bright side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ME856 is absolutely droolworthy! I can't wait for the new Shu goodies... Thank you for the excellent post and pics :)
    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taupe? Yes please in heaping amounts! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried any Shu eye shadows, they look and sound lovely! ME856 looks gorgeous in your excellent swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you just buy the pans? Is there an option on the shu website? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nvm. Found it on their website. Wished they did the pans earlier!!! I depot all my shu and dump the clear cases :(

    ReplyDelete